Sunday 14 July 2013

Best drink for summer’s day and where to drink it


Aperol. I’ve just discovered it. More specifically I’ve just discovered Aperol Spritz. It’s Aperol (like a less bitter cousin of Campari), prosecco and soda water. It’s bright orange. And it’s perfect for sitting in the sun with.

I got my first taste at Madison, at the top of One New Change. Now it pains me a bit to share that place because it’s one of the few rooftop bars/restaurants in London that isn’t swamped with people. Even on the hottest day of the year I was able to get a sofa outside. There are views over the city – you can see Battersea Power Station, The Eye, The Tate, and if you turn round, a corner of the Gherkin. 

On the tours I take people to Bea’s of Bloomsbury to get a cupcake, then we eat them on the roof. At Madison, I now always opt for an Aperol Spritz and some of their tapas.

I recommend the salt and pepper squid. The dipping sauce is all kinds of smoky and husky and sweet. The charcuterie plate is good and the jamon croquettas too (but like a McDonalds apple pie, they're hotter than the sun on the inside.)

So, go and visit. Make sure you take in the view as you go up in the lift. You’ll rise up to be eye-to-eye with St Paul’s Cathedral. Great spot for a photo and a spot of food.

By Charli


No comments:

Post a Comment